by schroederMP 07-25-2011, 12:47 AM

Materials

2 cans of Self Etching Primer
2 cans of Filler Primer
2 can of your choice color wheel paint
2 cans of wheel clear coat, if wanted
Any kind a degreaser
400 grit sand paper

Step 1 - First step is to take the rims and tires off of the truck. If you don't know how to do this then you probably shouldn't be painting your rims.

Step 2- Clean all of the wheel,not just the part your painting, all of it!

Step 3- Since how we are going to be paiting just the middle five spokes, we want to tape of everything that is not going to be painted. The out side ring and everything in between.

Step 4- Start sanding! In alot of write up it says that your going to be painting the back of the wheel. Well my decision was that if my spokes are just going to be black, then why would I paint anything else black?? Its really up to you but I left mine alone.

You should sand untill all the "shiny" is gone, and then sand some more. You want a good surface for your self etching paint to "stick to". As you can see in the picture the difference between the shiny and the sanded part.

Step 5- After you are done sanding, you will need to clean the surface of the wheel, again. Using the degreaser, spray it on a terry cloth and wipe it down good, making sure there isn't anything left on the surface.

Step 6- now its time to start painting. Starting with your self etching primer, spray three light coats onto the wheels, giving them 10 minutes to dry in between coats. This gives a good bass for your fallowing steps!

Step 7- Now its time for the filer primer, once again just like the step above, three light coats with ten minutes of dry time inbetween coats.

Step 8- Take a break

Step 9- Both primers are dry, take a air hose and blow off your wheel, you can blow off your wheel in between every coat if you'd like to, it doesn't mater to me.
Step 10- Now its time for your paint. Same things with this but I went with 4 light coats(light coats keep it from running). 15 minutes of dry time between coats. After all of the coats are on, I let them dry for 30 minutes.

Step 10- If you want to clear coat, now is the time to do this. I did 3 light coats of clear, with 10 minutes of dry time between coats. I let the last coat dry for 1.5 hrs.
(DO NOT put clear coat on your rims if they have been drying for more than a hour. If you decided you want a gloss finish and they have been dry for more than a hour, wait 24 hours untill you apply the clear coat)

Step 11- Removing tape, be really carefull when pulling the tape off, the paint is dry but not like it should be yet. Just take your time when removing the tape.

Step 12- Clean the chrome part with the degreaser again.

Step 13- Throw em back on the truck and be happy with you work(or pissed off if you messed them up)

Last edited by Justin; 05-15-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Views 5073 Comments 6
Total Comments 6

Comments

Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Admin
Administrator

Default Re: How To- Paint your flower peddle wheels

I'm just curious where the hell the pics are honestly.....Just sayin.....lol
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
schroederMP

Default Re: How To- Paint your flower peddle wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin
I'm just curious where the hell the pics are honestly.....Just sayin.....lol
Uh...apartly still on my photobucket! :owned I will get them up soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
schroederMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
mmuir

Step 8 = the most integral part of the job... with beers
mmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
schroederMP

Haha funny you said that because there used to be a pic of a beer can...but it got deleted from my photobucket so it didn't show up!

and
Old 08-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
SixGun

Paint job looks great! I just wanna know how you were able to put that ghost image of a guy with a camera in your spoke like in your third pic.
That's some scary schitz!

Question: What was the reason behind all that stuff about the clear coat waiting?

1991 DODGE D150
Rebuilt 239 V6 & MSD Blaster Coil
Rebuilt A999 Torqueflite w/ TransGo shift kit
Mopar Torque Converter & Deep Pan w/ Trans Cooler
Rancho Shocks & Add-a-Leaf
CSS 2" Lift Coils
Magnaflow CAT & Thrush Muffler

Last edited by SixGun; 08-23-2011 at 01:33 AM..
SixGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
schroederMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGun View Post
Paint job looks great! I just wanna know how you were able to put that ghost image of a guy with a camera in your spoke like in your third pic.
That's some scary schitz!

Couple of ??:

1) What did you use to sand the chrome?
2) What was the reason behind all that stuff about the clear coat waiting?
Haha thats a special touch...my ugly ass burned an image of my self into it.

And I used 400 grit wet or dry sand paper.

And the reasoning behind the wait period on the clear coat. On the can of clear coat and recomended by others that you add the clear coat within an hour ofter the last coat. That way when the paint is drying, the cleat coat is drying with it. If you wait a few hours, the clear coat will actually crack and pit really bad. Thats why they recoment to wait 24 hrs before apply it if you havent applied it before the 1 hr mark

and

Article Tools