DodgeChat Forums  

Go Back   DodgeChat Forums > Other Topics > Articles

Article Tools Display Modes
Old
Default Power Distribution Box Install
by 82ram150 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Well i finally got my engine bay fuse box installed. Its out of a 96 Dodge Caravan. Holds 9 bosch style relays, 3 smaller relays, 8 large fuses and 17 mini fuses. Currently I only have the starter relay and my driving lights hooked up. Next my hei relay and fuse will go in there then the headlights. It also has relays for the wipers so i might wire that up to my wipers.

Here is the driver side before i installed the box. This is when i was putting a new starter in which is why there is no starter in there.

Here is the box installed and not wired up yet. I used one of the old brakets from the charcoal canister for the outside mount on the box and a long piano hinge so that i can flip it up to access the connectors.

Here I have only the starter relay and fuse wired up. (The relay on the left and the orange fuse)

Here i have all of the relays and fuses that I had on me installed. Still some cleaning up of the wires to do.

I used the positive wire that went to my starter relay from a welded splice which also has a fusible link in it for the main power to the fuse box.

Bosch style starter relay wire up:
Before I installed the fuse box I had replaced the old starter relay with a bosch style one. It was quite easy. On my truck there is a red wire which goes to the prong(s) on the old relay that says Batt. This wire will go to #30 on the bosch relay. There is a Brown wire that goes to the starter solenoid that goes to SOL on the old relay, this goes to #87 on the bosch relay. Green wire is ground, on manual transmissions like mine, this was grounded to the screw holding the relay on the fender, on automatic transmissions this goes to the neutral saftey switch, this wire goes to G on the old relay which will now go to #85 on the bosch. Then lastely we have the Orange wire which goes to I on the old relay, this goes to the ignition switch, this will go to #86 on the bosch relay. And there you have it, the change over to a bosch style starter relay that you can later wire in to a fuse box like mine if you wish.

Until next time
Cody
Views 4789 Comments 4
Total Comments 4

Comments

Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
crazzywolfie

so are you planing to use that to replace all the fusible links?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 570CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
91 dodge d150 short box 318 2 barrel carb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crazzywolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
82ram150

havent really decided yet. I need more connectors and shrink wrap or i would have done more. ill study my wiring diagrams and see what all i can do. Probably most if not all fusible links. I was thinking about getting the junction box too and mounting that under the battery tray.

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
82ram150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
DarkriderSE

Great write up! Will def need to consider doing this to my ram especially considering i plan on adding several off road lights to it.
DarkriderSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
82ram150

Wired my ignition to the ABS pump relay and fuse in the power distribution center. Wired the main abs fuse to the extra switch on my dash so i can turn ignition on and off with out the key. Only problem is you could compression start it if you turn the switch on even without the key. But the steering wheel is still locked without the key.

Really cleaned up those wires there.

Need more wire and a new dimmer switch to do headlights. Thinking of a 3 way toggle switch as dimmer switch mounted between headlight switch and windshield wiper switch.

Until next mod..

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
82ram150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Article Tools