DodgeChat Forums  

Go Back   DodgeChat Forums > Other Topics > Articles

Article Tools Display Modes
Old
Default Relocating a coil on a 1st gen ram
by psycobilly64 08-09-2011, 12:31 AM

This is a write-up on relocating an ignition coil on 1st gen Rams. This can also apply to other Dodge vehicles with the coil mounted on top of the intake. I had to move mine since it would overheat after about 20 miles, making me have to pull over and sit for 15-20 minutes to let it cool down.

Step one is choosing the new mounting location. I decided to mount mine on the passenger fenderwell in front of the washer bottle.

Step two is unbolting the 2 bolts holding the coil mount on the intake.

Once you have the coil removed from the stock location, remove the wires from the coil (both electrical feeds and the coil wire). Cut the two electrical wires and splice in wires long enough to reach the new mounting location. These can only be put on the coil one way, so as long as you only cut and splice one at a time, you'll have no issues.

Mount the coil in your new location with either self tapping screws or nuts and bolts. You may have to bend the mount, or spend the money for a universal mount.

Once the coil is mounted, you can hook up the wires and make your new coil wire. I used a kit from Accel that came with a 60" long 8mm wire and multiple ends. The kit also includes a crimping tool for the ends that requires the use of a vise. Decide which ends you need by looking at the coil wire you removed from the truck. Cut the wire to length and crimp on the ends following the directions in the kit.

Once it is wired up and the coil wire is attached, start the truck and make sure it's running right. If so you can tape up the wires, zip tie the wires out of the way and you're done!
Views 10457 Comments 13
Total Comments 13

Comments

Old 08-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
schroederMP

Very nice...how is it running now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
schroederMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
psycobilly64

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroederMP View Post
Very nice...how is it running now?
It's runnin good. Should have no issues gettin to the G2G!

If you're gonna die, DIE WITH YOUR BOOTS ON!!
Bruce Dickenson, Iron Maiden
Ram Enthusiast Club member #02

psycobilly64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
schroederMP

on man...very nice work!

and
Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
psycobilly64

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroederMP View Post
on man...very nice work!
Thanks man! One thing I've always been good at is makin things work!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
schroederMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycobilly64 View Post
Thanks man! One thing I've always been good at is makin things work!
yea me too...untill the duct tape wears out!
That reminds me...I need a fresh patch on my tire, its losing air!

and
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
psycobilly64

1001 uses my ass! there's a lot more than that!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
DarkriderSE

Nice write up man! Will def need to consider something similar on my Ram. Though i am not sure how i would go about the extended coil wire to the cap...dont have access to a vice for crimping the new wire...
DarkriderSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
psycobilly64

Thanks man. It only suggests you use a vise. I managed to use a set of lineman's pliers to crimp mine on. Not as pretty, but you don't see the crimps anyway . The wire kit I bought was only 16 bucks and some change from my local Advance Auto and I had some left over 12ga wire from the reg mod for the power leads. If I bought everything for the mod it would have been around $30, so it's a pretty cheap mod.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
DarkriderSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycobilly64 View Post
Thanks man. It only suggests you use a vise. I managed to use a set of lineman's pliers to crimp mine on. Not as pretty, but you don't see the crimps anyway . The wire kit I bought was only 16 bucks and some change from my local Advance Auto and I had some left over 12ga wire from the reg mod for the power leads. If I bought everything for the mod it would have been around $30, so it's a pretty cheap mod.
It is def that! I will be doing a relocation as well soon but ironically enough where your mounted your ign box on your firewall was where i was considering moving my coil to. Then i shouldnt have to worry about wire lengths while at the same time gaining the same advantages as your relocation. Either way it still moves it from the hot area it is currently sitting in.
Project car: 1994 Integra RS aka "Vegas" Project Truck: 1981 Dodge Ram 150 Custom SE aka "Son of Thunder" 1969 GMC Custom "Black Knight" 2 wheel fun: 1985 Honda Interceptor 750 aka "Mad Max" 1988 Honda CBR 600 Hurricane
DarkriderSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
crazzywolfie

my 91 originally had the coil mounted to the firewall. i don't see anything wrong with the coil being mounted on the intake but billy's truck is different. he is running 12volt straight to the coil because he could not get is to run with a ballast resister. that is why it can use as much help keeping cool as possible.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 570CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
91 dodge d150 short box 318 2 barrel carb

crazzywolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
psycobilly64

Ya that's the problem with re-engineering a factory system. As soon as you change one thing, another issue pops up. I think I've finally got it sorted out though!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
82ram150

My hei coil is mounted in that location, but since my dizzy is on the side of the block, i dont need a huge coil wire. the module and heatsink are also mounted next to it, i had to put a small computer fan on the bottom of the heat sink cuz the first module fired when it got into the high 70's back in july. Its been in the 90's lately and no problems yet. Have the power for the fan hooked up to the positive for the coil with a 3 amp mini fuse. Works great! Maybe you could strap a fan to your coil

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
82ram150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
psycobilly64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ram150 View Post
Maybe you could strap a fan to your coil
The thought had crossed my mind...

Article Tools