DodgeChat Forums  

Go Back   DodgeChat Forums > Dodge Vehicles > Dodge Cars

Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
schroederMP

Default Heart surgery

Nothing serious...no worries!

But I was thinking. The body on my stealth is pretty rough, would take prob $2k for a body shop to do it right...maybe $500-$700 for me to do it (not a body guy)

So I've been finding some Stealths and 3000gts online with blown engines and near perfect body on it for $500.

How hard would it be to just put my engine into another stealth? Would I just take the entire front suspension, engine, tranny and put it in the new car?

Or is it not that simple?

Never done anything like this so I'm just wondering. Would def save me a lot of headache of redoing the body my self!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
schroederMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
schroederMP

Example

http://dayton.craigslist.org/ctd/2599693889.html

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/2600451822.html

and
Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

If you get a stealth and it is pretty much the same year, all you would have to remove from your car would be the engine and transmission. Now it would come down to the year of the car and such. Wiring will be the main issue. If you don't get one with the same wiring you will have to redo the entire wiring harness in the car in order for your engine and stuff to work.
224,030 original miles (as of 5-13-13)
new transfer case, brakes, shocks, radiator, water pump(twice cause of faulty parts), front balls joints, trak bar, front u-joints, tires, heater core.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
psycobilly64

I agree with Justin. The easiest way to do it is to find one the same year with most of the same options. You also want to make sure it has the same engine in case they used different motor mounts.

If you're gonna die, DIE WITH YOUR BOOTS ON!!
Bruce Dickenson, Iron Maiden
Ram Enthusiast Club member #02

psycobilly64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
schroederMP

I guess I will look for the same year!

and
Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
82ram150

Ahh ive had experience with this and my friends ranger. 93 ranger with OBDI and trying to put a 98 OBDII engine with complete harness in it. Didnt work. As stated above same year would be your best bet or perhaps a year newer or older. Do a little research on the subject. I dont know a whole lot on the stealth/gt3000. Since yours is manual you wont have to worry about the harness for an auto. My biggest concern is same engine and tranny. if youve done any suspension work you wanna keep just drop the whole crossmember and engine/tranny/suspension as a whole and throw it in as a whole. Make sure to bag and label bolts and nuts. Nothing is worse than missing a bolt or having an extra. Take pics of how its set up to go off of when you install it and if you have to take any connectors off that has another similar style connector label it with a number or something so you know which connector it connects to. It should be fairly straight forward really. Good luck. If i was closer id offer to give you a hand with the swap.

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
82ram150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
psycobilly64

Agreed. Masking tape and a magic marker will be your best friends during the swap!

I'll keep my ears open up here too. I can usually find stuff a lot cheaper here than down south where you're at.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
schroederMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ram150 View Post
Ahh ive had experience with this and my friends ranger. 93 ranger with OBDI and trying to put a 98 OBDII engine with complete harness in it. Didnt work. As stated above same year would be your best bet or perhaps a year newer or older. Do a little research on the subject. I dont know a whole lot on the stealth/gt3000. Since yours is manual you wont have to worry about the harness for an auto. My biggest concern is same engine and tranny. if youve done any suspension work you wanna keep just drop the whole crossmember and engine/tranny/suspension as a whole and throw it in as a whole. Make sure to bag and label bolts and nuts. Nothing is worse than missing a bolt or having an extra. Take pics of how its set up to go off of when you install it and if you have to take any connectors off that has another similar style connector label it with a number or something so you know which connector it connects to. It should be fairly straight forward really. Good luck. If i was closer id offer to give you a hand with the swap.
Very good points in there. Thank you. I was planning on just swapping the entire engine, tranny, and front suspension. But the only prob with that is I dont have a car lift, so I dunno how to get the body up and off the engine and tranny.

Thanks for the pointers... this wont start this next spring, but I wanted to get my research done

and
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
schroederMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycobilly64 View Post
Agreed. Masking tape and a magic marker will be your best friends during the swap!

I'll keep my ears open up here too. I can usually find stuff a lot cheaper here than down south where you're at.
Thanks man... I'm just looking for something with a good body and interior on it.

and
Old 09-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
82ram150

To get the body high enough. What i would do is drop the whole crossmember package onto a couple of dollys. and jack the body up and put it on jack stands, if need be put a block on the jack to lift it higher and maybe use some taller truck jack stands. i wouldnt think maybe 3 to 4 ft wouldnt be reasonabley tall enough. Or just take the whole front clip off and already have it disassembled to part out

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
schroederMP

Quote:
To get the body high enough. What i would do is drop the whole crossmember package onto a couple of dollys. and jack the body up and put it on jack stands, if need be put a block on the jack to lift it higher and maybe use some taller truck jack stands. i wouldnt think maybe 3 to 4 ft wouldnt be reasonabley tall enough. Or just take the whole front clip off and already have it disassembled to part out
Ahh good point...what I dont use from my body now is going to scrap so i'll just take it all apart!

And I might be able to get a jack to make that work for when put it in the new body...just have to get 2 jacks for both sides.

and
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
82ram150

Well if your gonna scrap it do something ive always wanted to do. Cut the engine bay including the firewall off and turn it into a bbq grill MY metals shop teacher had one from an 80's toyota tercel. I wanna make one with functional lights and horn and make some exhaust pipes come out of the fire wall into stacks to vent it

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
Old 09-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #13
schroederMP

Quote:
Well if your gonna scrap it do something ive always wanted to do. Cut the engine bay including the firewall off and turn it into a bbq grill MY metals shop teacher had one from an 80's toyota tercel. I wanna make one with functional lights and horn and make some exhaust pipes come out of the fire wall into stacks to vent it

Haha that would be pretty awesome... but I just dont have the room to store a half a car .

Come get it if you want it

and
Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
82ram150

haha ok ill ride my bike, may be there by november. lol i sure as hell dont have the gas. lol

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
Old 09-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #15
schroederMP

Yea start pedeling...get her and help me...then I drive you back in the new Stealth

and
Old 09-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
psycobilly64

Hell I'll make a grill out of it ! You've seen my old grill and it's starting to show it's age

Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
schroederMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycobilly64 View Post
Hell I'll make a grill out of it ! You've seen my old grill and it's starting to show it's age
You want it?

and
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #18
82ram150

There you go joe! then next year for the gtg you will have a mopar grill for a mopar meet!

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #19
psycobilly64

Sounds like a plan ! I've been looking for a pop up camper frame to mount my grill on, but it would be cooler to have a Dodge grill

Or there's always this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOetWUV9Ow8

Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
schroederMP

Well when I get done... I will trailer it up there to ya!

And I've seen that...friggin bad ass! But I dont love my stealth enough to put that kinda money into it! haha

and