DodgeChat Forums  

Go Back   DodgeChat Forums > Dodge Vehicles > Dodge Cars

Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
schroederMP

Default Spit and sputter

Needs some help.

My car- 1993 Dodge Stealth 3.0 SOHC FWD 5sp

Problem- When the outside temperature is 80 degrees or higher, the car like the randomly die WHEN: I let off the gas and press in on the clutch (RPMS drop, drop low enough to kill it) AND when I first start the car, it starts, then dies.

Also, when accelerating, it likes the sputter when its a higher gear/lower speed. Kinda like its missing out...its not bad, but I can def feel it/hear it.

Solutions?!?! What could be the problems. I just changed the plugs and plug wires about 1000 miles ago. Could the problem be the coil pack?

I'm kinda lost...its doesn't do it all the time, but enough to piss me off when it does it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 8 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
schroederMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
schroederMP

Would a cap and rotor kit help?

and
Old 09-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
psycobilly64

The cap and rotor kit can't hurt (I like to change them every time I do the plug wires, myself). How many miles does it have again? It could be a clogged injector/s causing it. Any fault codes stored? It should still be a 3 key cycle system to check the codes.

If you're gonna die, DIE WITH YOUR BOOTS ON!!
Bruce Dickenson, Iron Maiden
Ram Enthusiast Club member #02

psycobilly64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
schroederMP

No codes... the engine has 150,xxx miles on it.

I'll prob order a cap and rotor kit, they are only $25 on rockauto!

and
Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
psycobilly64

$25 ain't bad. You could try running some Lucas (only one I'll use) injector cleaner through it too just to be sure.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
schroederMP

Ill pick some up tomorrow...thanks Joe :)

and
Old 09-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
psycobilly64

No prob bud. It's a little pricey, but the reason I'll only use Lucas is I've heard some horror stories about the cheap stuff eating fuel lines and tearin up filters.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
schroederMP

And with the car almost being 20 yrs old I wanna use some good stuff that wont screw up my lines lol

and
Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
82ram150

I know when mine did this same thing, it was the intake gasket at the head, runners 3 and 4 both were leaking, kept thinking it was the carbs, well it was partly the carbs but a vacuum leak will do this too. Mine got worse and worse as it got warmer because everything was expanding and making the leak bigger. Take some carb cleaner or starter fluid and spray at the base of your throttle body where it mounts to the intake and any other places tht mount to intake, ie egr, at heads, maybe check vac lines too. When spraying, if idle increases or decreases its a vac leak, if you hear this difference spray the spot again to double check. Dont go crazy with it either, the stuff is flamable, just short little sprays. just my $.02

, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

CLICK COLORFUL WORDS
82ram150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
schroederMP

Good idea...I'll give it a shot!

and